I worked on this project as part of a hiring process I went through with a Danish design studio. The assignment consisted of designing a concept of an app, where the user could track his/her skin status, lifestyle, and the skin treatments.
Starting from a simple concept, the assignment required to do a quick user research online, work on the wireframe and present a prototype in max 2 days.
This project was both fun and challenging. I had a really short deadline to present a solution, therefore I could not go for a deep research or a clean and polish UI.
Nevertheless, the short time span pushed my creativity and kept me constantly on focus, without distractions.
Since the time was a critical factor, I decided to divide the assignment into three parts:
The research methodology | Wireframe & User flow | Prototype
I allocated a precise number of hours to each part, in order to keep my work organized and do not lose the focus.
The first 2-3 hours were used to look for similar solutions online.
Are there other apps that track the skin conditions? Which are they? How do they work?
I installed on my phone 5 different apps (e.g My Daily Skincare) to understand which kind of features could fit the concept, and which ones are the most used/common.
I took notes and screenshots of each app. Some of them were not really intuitive to use or even badly designed, but It was interesting and useful to learn.
I spent other few hours researching the subject on forums, social networks, apps comments to quickly have a taste of users’ behaviors and understand their needs.
This quick but pretty efficient digital ethnography allowed me to identify users' pain points and needs.
With more time I would have approached users in person, planning and running interviews and questionnaires.
Due to the extremely short deadline, I did not create persona and scenario. This would have added much more quality to the concept research part.
I quickly put down the most interesting ideas that came out from the research phase.
I drew few sketches on paper, visualizing the possible flow and positioning the app element.
I worked on a digital and more clear version on Sketch.
During this phase, I also designed the user flow.
I exported the sketch assets to InVision to add some interaction, in order to test the concept.
I invited two persons to try the wireframe, explaining to them the scenario and the goal of the app.
I used the feedback they gave me to improve the flow and fix some mistakes I made in the initial wireframe.
I began the last phase of my assignment with several UI ideas, inspired by my little research.
It was time to add the look and feel to the structure built as a wireframe.
I modified the initial wireframe, adding a fourth section, making the flow more linear and easy to follow.
I built everything with Sketch and InVision.
The given time span set the level of deepness and complexity of the project. I believe this concept has several interesting points to develop if given enough time to.
I kept out features like “being on period” or stress level. It might be a good idea to explore these elements for the app since they are pretty relevant to the skin care subject. Moreover, the app could be used in synergy with sport or sleep tracking apps.
I am always up for a chat, possibly while drinking a warm and delicious cup of tea
(that's right, I am an Italian guy who does not drink coffee).
©2019 Daniele Internicola.